The beverage production facility at Coca-Cola in Zagreb utilized a compressed air system, vital for their operations. CALMS permanent monitoring has been installed and functioning in this facility for nearly two years, ensuring a streamlined system.
During regular operations, the 7 bar compressor faced issues due to its low demand and consequently exhibited excessive on-off cycling. On an average weekend, the on-off cycling reached a staggering 1900 times (an average of 950 times per day).
The CALMS management system’s continuous monitoring detected the inefficiency. To address the issue, a simulation was devised to connect the 7 bar system to the 10 bar system.
- 10 Bar System Alterations:
- The VSD compressor N45 experienced an increase in average power by 4 kW.
- The compressor’s operational load shifted to a more efficient 35% from its prior 25% load. The previous operation was on an inefficient part of the U-curve.
- 7 Bar System Adjustments:
- The compressor now has zero starts, drastically reducing its wear and tear.
- It registered a notable reduction in energy consumption by 15 kW.
- Overall Energy Efficiency: By seamlessly integrating the two systems, energy consumption was optimized leading to significant savings.
- Reduced Operational Costs: The service costs diminished due to the reduction in the number of starts and stops. The wear and tear on the equipment were also considerably reduced.
- Mitigated Risks: With the enhanced setup, the probability of downtime resulting from compressor failure decreased, ensuring a smoother operational flow.
The monetary savings were especially evident when the flow rate was lower than 2 m3/min, which, in 2018, accounted for 20.5% of the total operational time, equating to 1783 hours annually. With the electricity cost pegged at 0.08€/kWh, the savings for the company were calculated as:
Before the implementation:
- 7 bar system had an average power consumption of 15.3 kW.
- 10 bar system consumed about 11.6 kW.
After the CALMS intervention:
- 7 bar system drastically reduced its power consumption to a mere 0.5 kW.
- 10 bar system noted an average power consumption of 14.9 kW.
Hence, the annual savings were calculated as:( (11.6 kW + 15.3 kW) - (14.9kW + 0.5 kW) ) * 1783 hours * 0.08 €/kWh, leading to a yearly savings of 1640€.
The CALMS CFC Flow Controller proved to be a game-changer for Coca-Cola Zagreb, not just in optimizing its compressed air system, but also in realizing tangible financial benefits. The case highlights the potential of innovative solutions in transforming conventional operational challenges into opportunities for cost savings and efficiency.